Saturday, September 5, 2015

The quest for HGTV stardom continues...

The house that stole my heart.
I have made my first step towards becoming the newest HGTV star and no - I didn't have a face-lift or boob-lift. Although that certainly would be helpful - no doubt.

I found an awesome project. Now all I have to do is convince Phil. Oh... and find the money, write a proposal, find a producer etc etc. But one small step at a time...

Phil and I took a field trip to Thomasville last weekend just to check things out. I was certainly right about one thing. The town is adorable. The downtown area has a very young, hip feel. Old brick storefronts' second stories have been converted to lofts and condos that are attracting a younger clientele. There are restaurants, bars, coffee houses and boutiques. Broad Street is indeed broad and brick-paved giving it that historic charm.




We spent the afternoon looking at old houses that need restoration. They all come with similar issues - termite damage, mold and mildew, funky layouts and additions made throughout the years that are definitely not to code. But they also come with incredible craftsmanship (mantles, woodwork) and history. As I age, I find myself becoming drawn to less shiny, new objects and more to weathered items made from quality materials that sport a patina or a maybe a bit of rust (sort of like my skin and joints!). Things that were made 100 years ago were not mass produced, but required a knowledgeable laborer who learned the process from a master, like these old houses. 


OK...so it needs a bit work - don't we all?
All hardwood floors are intact as well as bead-board ceilings.
One house, built in the 1890's, particularly stole my heart. It is a mess. Every part of the house needs work. It looks like it could be set for demolition in the near future. 







To ignore this pestering itch in regards to this house and find something a bit less overwhelming would be the safe thing to do - the practical thing to do. That just makes sense. Phil and I are older with a limited bank account and should guard what we have. I also understand that as we age, a lot of decisions (or lack of) are based on fear and practicality, as opposed to unbridled confidence, spontaneity and passion like when we were young. Does it have to be like this? If so - that's pretty sad. I just don't think Phil and I are ready to give up those aspects of youth yet. Yes, the work would be very challenging and investing in something like this is always a risk. But, this house could be magnificent again, as I imagine it was when it was first inhabited by William Beverly, the lumber dealer and alderman who was the original owner 110 years ago. 
They don't make 'em like that anymore!

Gorgeous pocket door. Not sure what the deal is about all the pink though.

Original butler's pantry is still intact.
Maybe you or someone you know is looking for an investment in a piece of history and a possible slam dunk real estate-wise. 

Wait - I just had another brilliant idea. Hey... Nicole Curtis - listen up. We could be partners! Yeah - I'll even work on toning the arms and get some hair extensions! It's a helluva alot warmer in Thomasville than Detroit! Whaddyasay? You in? We could save this house, make it shine again, and make some money in the process. 

 Or.... maybe I'll win a contest or the lottery this year. If I do, my first call will be to Thomasville with an offer for this house. Then, the second call will be to the plastic surgeon. After all, you have to look good on HGTV, right?

1 comment: