Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Is Chicago "My kind of town"?

As Frank Sinatra crooned the words "My kind of town, Chicago is", he certainly wasn't exaggerating. Neither is the sign advertising the the stretch of State Street called the "Magnificent Mile". Chicago is pure delight.

Last year, after my mom passed away, my sister and I decided to plan a trip down memory lane in honor of my mom and dad. Sort of retracing our roots, so to speak.We were both born in or around the city of Chicago. My parents met and fell in love in this city and our grandparents lived and worked here as well. I had not been back to the city in 40 years and am so glad I finally found my way back "home".
The tiny house we lived in when I was born.
(Schiller Park - right outside of the city)
My sis and I had a wonderful time visiting all the places we lived and places we loved, while reminiscing and retelling family stories. But in addition to this, something unexpected happened to me on this trip - I fell in love with the Windy City.


I have traveled a great deal all over the world and have been to some of the world's greatest cities: London. Paris, Rome, Tokyo, New York, Los Angeles, Miami, and many more.  Up until now, I have always thought of Paris as my most favorite city. However, I think Paris now has some stiff competition.  Chicago definitely has taken a top spot on my list. 


Outdoor Amphitheater
Why??? Well, I'll start with the obvious - it's gorgeous. The city is rich in art and architecture. You may say - "Yeah, well so are all the other cities". That may be true, but Chicago just has a "niceness" to it that the other cities just don't have. You feel warm and welcome here as if the city envelopes you in it's hospitality and history. It's a special place where...

...like London, Paris, and Rome, a river runs right through the city. While on a boat traveling through the core of this metropolis, you are surrounded by phenomenal structures such as the Wrigley Building and Marina City.
The Chicago River

Marina City
A view of The Wrigley Building
...art and sculptures by Picasso and other renowned artists are scattered about the city so that "Everyman" can enjoy the work of  these creative geniuses.

Cloud Gate (aka The Bean) at Millennium Park

...you can rent bicycles and ride along the lake on an 18 mile trail and enjoy a view of the beach and lake and the parks. 
Trail along Lake Michigan
The John Hancock building is in the background.


... the people are so nice and helpful that at stores, restaurants, hotels, while walking on the streets, and even at the airport you never meet a snarky person. 

... it's CLEAN. I mean really CLEAN.





... the neighborhoods consist of stunning, tree-lined streets with buildings built at the turn of the century. The beautiful cut limestone or brick houses with ironwork are to die for.  





I imagine this city as humble. It doesn't have the bustle or trademark style of New York. It doesn't have the quirkiness of LA, the snobbishness of Paris, nor the hipness of South Beach. It's simply nice - like its people. 

To me, Chicago is the forgotten city in the USA. It doesn't brag, wave its greatness in your face, or try too hard. It's just surprisingly wonderful. Chicago was my first home and this trip helped me develop a great appreciation and love for it. I think my mom and dad would be very pleased that my sister and I had a fantastic time in the city where we began our journey through life.

Frank Sinatra said it best through the lyrics of a song about this great city:

My Kind of Town

This is my kind of town, Chicago is
My kind of town, Chicago is
My kind of people, too
People who smile at you

And each time I roam, Chicago is
Calling me home, Chicago is
Why I grin like a clown
It's my kind of town
You CAN go home again and I definitely will!



4 comments:

  1. Although Chicago was your roots and is a wonderful city, I'm very glad your family moved to Florida. I was able to get to know your mother and you in the 70's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. That is so sweet. Glad I got to know you too!

      Delete
  2. Susan Onken Van MetreSeptember 24, 2015 at 2:48 PM

    Who knew? I'm Chicago born & bred, too. Moved to FL when I was eleven. It is a wonderful place to be from, and I always enjoy the chance to visit. Go Cubbies!

    ReplyDelete