Sunday, June 21, 2015

Is necessity the mother of invention?

Yes... I think, maybe so.

My original budget for re-doing my grandsons' room was $300, however the crown molding was more than I expected ($122.00). Well, hell, everything was more than I expected. Between the crown molding, paint and supplies, and the new bedding I was already at $300 (my entire budget). That left me with zilch for decor.

Now, if you have been reading my blog you know that I mention my husband's garage frequently. Let's just say that both cars live in the driveway due to a shortage of space in the 2 car garage.  I normally chastise Phil for saving things that I would normally discard, but this time his pack-rat syndrome paid off. I actually ended up using some things he found in the garage which helped out the budget.
I have no idea why he saved these pieces of particle board...but I'm glad he did!
These were in the box that came with our Sunbrella fabric we bought 5 years ago for our deck furniture cushions.  I really wanted large initial letters (like you see Joanna Gaines use on Fixer Upper) to hang above each of their beds, but once the budget was shot it was out of the question. So with cheap wooden letters from Michael's, some rope Phil had in the shed, and some spray paint we had in the cabinet, I ended up with this...






The room should be done this week. There are still some things like shelving to work on. 

I'll be posting "before and after" pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment