Saturday, May 23, 2015

Do you think Marilyn Monroe ever grouted tile?


It's been a big week for me - officially retired from my position as assistant principal and finished renovating the back patio. Two difficult tasks - one filled with emotion, the other with sore knees and back. Sometimes the physical tasks are easier for me to handle than the ones involving the heart.


As an assistant principal, I was just a little cog in a monstrous wheel known as a school. I worked hard and tried to be exemplary which is no different from any other employee that (come August) will still walk through those doors on a daily basis. I am humbled by the send off and well wishes from my colleagues. Putting my face on the body of Marilyn Monroe would definitely be categorized as "in my dreams"! I loved being a part of something bigger and better than I am as a single human being. Working collaboratively with fantastic people made all the frustrations and crap I had to deal with on a daily basis bearable. 
So now it's truly on to....renovating, reinventing and re- imagining!

Which brings us back to the patio...

I always think any renovation is going to be easier than it actually is. You know ... like it looks on TV. But even though it was difficult and hard work, I think it was worth the struggle (although Phil was the one lifting the 50 pound boxes of tile, bags of mortar, and mulch - hey! I was nursing a sore elbow!). 
I don't think these shoes would have been
a part of Marilyn's wardrobe.


We bought the tile on clearance and with the landscaping, mortar, grout, lights and chair, the total spent came in at about $200.00. Not bad for a total transformation. I went with large grout lines to give it more of a rustic, paved brick-type look. I'll let you know how it fares outside exposed to the elements.

AND... a plus!  I only stabbed myself with the trowel once which led to minimal bloodshed so all in all, a successful renovation. 
Before

The tile cutter ended up breaking so Phil had to use the wet saw.
What a pain! No fingers lost - thank goodness.
The wounded reno-warrior
Pre-grout
Very happy with the results

View from the deck

See below if you are interested in the budget and cost

Porcelain indoor/outdoor tile - 9 boxes of 12 tiles on clearance at Lowes /63 cents a tile = $68
3 bags of mortar (we used the cheap brick mortar) @ $4 each = $12
2 -25 pound bags of grout @ $15 each = $30
2 cans of grout sealer @ $5 each - $10
5 bags of brown mulch on sale at Lowes/5 bags for $10
8 day lilies on clearance at Lowes for $3 each = $24
Adirondack chair - Target = $19
6 outdoor solar lights (Lowes) = $30
Total $203

No comments:

Post a Comment