Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Is it possible to have a love/hate relationship with Walmart?

Let me just say I am not a fan of shopping at Walmart. I know, I know – things are definitely cheaper there, and they employ a lot of people, and everything you could possibly need is stuffed into one building, and they have that catchy little “rollback” thing going on with the smiley face – BUT -  I seem to get aggravated the moment I step through the automatic doors and am inundated by the claw machines with the toys inside, a million shopping carts and the senior citizen known as the “Walmart Greeter”. I’m not sure where this negative relationship between Walmart and me started. It could be that every time I try and find something there I end up at the opposite side of the store where it is located, have to walk 2 miles (ok a bit of hyperbole but it FEELS like 2 miles) and wander around trying to find what I’m looking for. And then I start getting aggravated. Possibly my true fear is that someone will take a picture of my butt in stretchy shorts and I will end up on that horrible People of Walmart website and branded a Walmart shopper. THAT would be tragic.


Well I have to start choosing my attitude towards Walmart because I actually made a purchase from them that I love. Now granted it was online and I didn't have to deal with finding it in the store but I really do love the item. It was a headboard. I ordered it when we revamped and redecorated our in- law suite. I ordered a full sized headboard and figured if I didn't like it I could return it to the neighborhood store. As much as I would have dreaded the return process I clicked “confirm purchase” and kept my fingers crossed. Well surprise, surprise. I really like it. Yes – we had to put it together, but it was a breeze and it was only $80 and it looks good – really, it does.

So I decided when I started looking for a headboard for my new low budget master bedroom design I started with Walmart online. I found exactly what I was looking for in a matter of minutes. May I say that shopping online is AWESOME – a true modern miracle. However, that is the subject for a whole other post so back to the headboard. This particular headboard I chose happened to be the most expensive headboard too which may have defeated the purpose of shopping at Walmart. I get the irony in that – I do. Nonetheless, I ordered a charcoal-grey, upholstered headboard for a king bed and it was $379 – a HUGE piece of my $1000 budget for the master bedroom.  Rationalizing to my husband I exclaimed, “But the shipping is free!” and followed that up with my charming smile that frankly doesn't work on him anymore. In fact – let’s be honest. After 29 years of marriage that hasn't worked in quite a while. He’s on to me. But I feel that this is a statement piece in the bedroom and worth the cost.

After he recovered from the price of the headboard I added quickly, “and I got a GREAT deal on a storage bench for the foot of the bed. Only $99!!!” So my advice is hit ‘em hard with the worst news first and then everything else after that is a piece of cake. Really. Try it. My children have been watching this strategy for a long time and actually as I now think about it I realize – DAMN. They have been using that on ME! Payback is hell.

Well right now I’m waiting for my treasures to be delivered. I will let you know how it all turns out and if I have to make a trip to the local Walmart to return them.

P.S. I WON’T be wearing stretchy shorts!

1 comment:

  1. You are hilarious! I got a twin headboard there too! But I will not enter the store.

    ReplyDelete