Saturday, October 10, 2015

Alright, which one of you hog-tied the substitute?


I thought this excerpt from "Caught in the Middle" would be appropriate at this time since I have decided , in retirement, to substitute teach a few days a week. Let me clarify that I am choosing to sub in elementary schools NOT middle schools, and if you continue to read this excerpt you will see why...

             * * * *  * * * * *

Alright…which one of you hog-tied the substitute? (aka PARTY TIME)

Thankfully it never got to this extreme, although it’s been close – too close. This book would definitely not be complete without a chapter dedicated to the ever-mistreated, always underpaid, unsung hero - the substitute teacher.


There are a lot of very challenging and difficult jobs in a school. As you read in the first chapter, I have had quite a few. One of the toughest was substitute teacher. When my daughter was in 2nd grade, I decided that it would be a great idea for me to earn some extra money by being a sub. I only substituted at my daughter’s elementary school and spent most of my time subbing for kindergarten teachers. I guess all the snot, pee, poop, and god knows what other germs that these kindergarten teachers endured was just too much for their immune systems. Substitute teaching in an elementary school was never easy, but in a middle school??? That’s a whole other ball game.

Right now, I want you to think back to when you were in school. Go ahead, rewind that clock. Do you remember what your reaction was when you walked into the classroom and you saw a substitute at the teacher’s desk?

In elementary school, you were worried and wondered where your teacher had gone and when he or she was coming back. It just wasn’t the same without your beloved, real teacher. You were sad.

In high school it’s all about getting that diploma and getting into college. Having a substitute was frustrating because you knew the class was going to get behind, and then when the teacher DID get back well, you would be working doubletime. You were annoyed.

In middle school, unless you were a total geek, it was just quite simply – PARTY TIME! You were ecstatic, joyous, and celebratory. Word spread like wildfire and those that would, were already thinking of ways to create disruptions. Not a whole lot has changed. Only now, I think the mischief has been kicked up a notch and drives these poor substitutes to new levels of insanity.


As a middle school administrator I always made sure I knew which classes had a sub so I could be sure to walk through regularly and give the students the stink-eye so they would know if they got into trouble they would be dealing with me.
As I walked through the classroom, I sincerely thanked the sub for his or her time in hopes that he or she would come back again and live to fight another day. Although most of them, at the end of the school day looked not only harried, but shell-shocked.  After the last bell rang, I’m sure they ran like hell out the doors and headed straight to the local Mexican Restaurant for the two-for-one margarita special.

Remember, we are dealing with pubescent kids who truly only care about one thing - what their peers think, which means showing their butt when they have a substitute is part of the package. Not literally thank god – at least I don’t remember dealing with someone that mooned a sub. Maybe my brain has just tried to wipe out that memory. Although I do remember a situation in a Florida middle school regarding a boy mooning the entire girls’ volleyball team, but that’s a whole other story.

If parents could see how their little darling behaves in the classroom when they have a substitute, they would think that someone had absconded with their child’s brain and body.


Parent: Where is my child? What creature has overtaken his mind and body?


Me: The alien known as Hormones (pronounced hor – mone- ees) from the planet Idontgiveashit.

  * * * * * * * * * * * *

Substitute teaching certainly has its ups and downs. But so does renovating. The bedroom closet is repaired and more structurally sound than it ever was. This week we will be working on the mini-bathroom makeover. I'll have before, during and after pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment